Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Introducing Abby Kam

(photos by Pixous Photography)

The wait had finally ended when our little angel was born on January 30th, 2012 (8th day in Chinese lunar calendar). The whole birthing process is still fresh in my mind. When I went for my  second last check up, my gynae told me my baby was generally a big size baby and she might come out earlier than expected. As my baby was big, he suggested for C-section but as a mother, I would want to experience natural birth and told him I would try birthing naturally first. If all else fail, then C-section will be the only option. The due date given was February 8th and since Chinese New Year was around the corner, both me and hubby was worried that our baby might come out on the 1st or 2nd day of CNY, then hospital charges will be doubled up and all plans we had for CNY will have to be canceled. 

A week later, we went for my last check up and this time my gynae gave me the concern look that I shouldn't wait any longer. Considering the size of the baby, I cannot afford to wait till the given due date. I was nonetheless disappointed but for the sake of my baby's safety, I heed the gynae's advice and scheduled for an induced labor on January 30th (Monday). Every day I pray and talked to my baby about my desire of having a natural birth. Either God answered my prayer or my baby can indeed hear me, my water bag broke on its own on Sunday night, a day before the scheduled labor. We were strolling around Straits Quay when it happened and luckily driving home was merely 5 mins away. As a first time parent, we didn't know know whether we should wait for stronger contractions before we go to the hospital. Not taking any chances, my hubby drove me to the hospital at 11pm. The midwife on duty checked me and advised I should come again later when the contractions get longer and closer together. While on the way home, we even stop by Mcd to have our supper.

Around 4am, the contractions getting longer and stronger. I woke hubby up and he drove me to the hospital again. I was admitted and the same midwife came in to check me and I was at 1cm. The pain started to get slightly more intense but still bearable. I told the midwife I didn't want epidural to ease the pain. Heck, I can do this.Then around 10am, they checked me again and I had dilated at 4cm. I told myself the dilation progressed smoothly, so I thought. It was a busy day at the hospital and they were under staff. The midwife didn't check on me as frequent as they should and around 12pm, my gynae came to see how much I have progressed. The last two hour went by with my dilation stuck at 4cm. What? My plan of having drug free labor seemed to fail and after that, things started to get more intense and I barely remember how I managed to get though it all. Despite the intense pain I was experiencing, I never once did consider epidural. After what felt like an eternity, my gynae checked me and I was furiously disappointed when I was still at 4cm even after induction. What the heck! I literally gave up when my gynae asked if I wanted to wait any longer. At this point the pain was really unbearable and I had already waited for 17 hours since my water bag broke and I didn't want to wait any longer. My baby's safety is my priority and I would do anything to have her delivered safely.

I was pushed into the operating theater at 2pm and by 2:30pm, our little angel was born. It was the loudest cry I've ever heard! Isn't she the cutest? Our bundle of joy!

(photos taken after birth)


No comments:

Post a Comment